Collaborative identification and interpretation of practice problems is a requirement of professional practice (AACN, 2008). Locating and summarizing literature using credible online databases is necessary for evidence-based nursing (AACN, 2008; QSEN, 2018).
Don’t use plagiarized sources. Get Your Custom Essay on
Collaborative identification and interpretation of practice problems.
Just from $15/Page
This assignment provides a learning activity for students to experience a practice-based scenario and apply a process worksheet designed to assist in the identification of an independent nursing problem or concern, develop a PICOT clinical question, and search for evidence using credible online databases/sources.
This assignment enables the student to meet the following Course Outcomes.
CO1: Examine the sources of evidence that contribute to professional nursing practice. (PO 7)
CO2: Apply research principles to the interpretation of the content of published research studies. (POs 4 & 8)
CO4: Evaluate published nursing research for credibility and significance related to evidence-based practice. (POs 4 & 8)
CO5: Recognize the role of research findings in evidence-based practice. (POs 7 & 8)
- Read over each of the following directions.
- You must read the Assignment Practice Scenario below before completing the PPL Worksheet.
- Download and use the required PPL Worksheet (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site..
- Review the information provided in our library of how to search for journal articles here (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site..
- Review the information provided in our library of how to locate and copy a journal permalink (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site..
- You are required to complete the worksheet using the productivity tools required by Chamberlain University, which is Microsoft Office Word 2013 (or later version), or Windows and Office 2011 (or later version) for MAC. You must save the file in the “.docx” format. Do NOT save as Word Pad. A later version of the productivity tool includes Office 365, which is available to Chamberlain students for FREE by downloading from the student portal at http://my.chamberlain.edu (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.. Click on the envelope at the top of the page.
- Complete each section of the Problem/PICOT/Literature (PPL) Worksheet. For the Clinical PICOT Question, you are required to use one type of question from the American Academy of Ambulatory Care Nursing (AAACN). Please access the template to select the question type from the following link:
American Academy of Ambulatory Care Nursing (AAACN). (2018). AAACN research toolkit: Template for asking PICOT questions. Retrieved from https://www.aaacn.org/sites/default/files/documents/misc-docs/1e_PICOT_Questions_template.pdf (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.
Assignment Practice Scenario
Your Chief Nurse Executive (CNE) recognizes you are pursuing your BSN and has asked you to be a member of the nursing evidence-based practice (NEBP) committee. She has advised the members that the purpose is to conduct nursing research studies involving clinical practice problems. Increasing nurses’ awareness of quality and safety concerns will help develop an attitude of inquiry and asking questions (Sherwood & Barnsteiner, 2017). Baccalaureate nurses “collaborate in problem identification, participate in the process of search, retrieval, and documentation of evidence, and integrate evidence using credible databases and internet resources” (AACN, 2008, pp. 16-17).
The CNE has advised all members of the following areas of quality and safety clinical practice that each committee member needs to consider and choose one as a priority area for conducting a research study. Sources of research problems come from nursing clinical practice (Houser, 2018):
|Non-pharmacological pain management||Errors (any). Examples include:MedicationPatient identificationCommunication|
Length of stay
|Healthcare Associated Infections (HAIs). (Any type)
Examples include:Central Line Associated Blood Stream Infections (CLABSI)Catheter Associated Urinary Tract Infections (CAUTI)Ventilator Associated Pneumonia (VAP)Surgical Site Infections (SSI)Sepsis
Transitions of Care/Level of Care
Your CNE has requested that you are to select one area and complete the PPL Worksheet using that topic. The committee will collaborate and decide as a team which nursing clinical problem area will be the priority focus of their next research study. Thank you for your valuable contributions to this important NEBP committee.
American Association of Colleges of Nurses (AACN). (2008). Executive summary: The essentials of baccalaureate education for professional nursing practice (2008). Retrieved from http://www.aacnnursing.org/Education-Resources/AAC…
Houser, J. (2018). Nursing research: Reading, using, and creating evidence (4th ed.). Sudbury, MA: Jones and Bartlett.
Sherwood, G., & Barnsteiner, J. (2017). Quality and safety in nursing: A competency approach to improving outcomes (2nd ed.). Hoboken, NJ: Wiley-Blackwell.
Quality and Safety Education for Nurses (QSEN). (2018). QSEN knowledge, skills, and attitude competencies. Retrieved from http://qsen.org/competencies/pre-licensure-ksas/