Criteria for answers:
1) Direct reference to the chapter’s laws/regulations (Employment Laws, Case Law, Statutes)
2) Direct reference to the chapter’s concepts (discrimination, ethics, social responsibility)
3) Quotes from the text.
4) Personal opinions based on an analysis of the above. 5) Each answer should be a paragraph (or a minimum of 5-7 sentences long)
1. Read this week’s ethical dilemma(pg 114). What would you do?
2. Why do you think the internet has become such a huge source for recruitment?
3. Do you think there are situations in which contingent workers are healthy for businesses and society?
4. What are some of the alternatives to recruitment? Please provide the pros and cons of each?
5. Discuss internal and external methods of recruiting.
6. “A strictly applied promotion-from-within policy leads to inbreeding, a lack of cross-fertilization, and a lack of creativity.” Discuss .
7. Do you know of any companies that ask staff (like Fed Ex) to identify their ideal job?
8. What can you do to improve your odds of hiring the “right” staff?
9. “Ninety five percent of our assets drive out the gate every afternoon at five. I want them to come back in the morning. I need them to come back in the morning.” Discuss.
10. What role can a non-traditional labor force play in your organization?
11. Why is it important to give staff “permission to experiment and make mistakes?”
12. Discuss the global implications for recruitment.