1) If atmospheric carbon dioxide was eliminated from our atmosphere, we would expect that the
A) cool considerably and photosynthesis would dramatically increase
B) cool considerably and photosynthesis would dramatically decrease
C) heat up considerably and photosynthesis would dramatically increase
D) heat up considerably and photosynthesis would dramatically decrease
2) Which of the following is a correlation that is causing widespread concern?
A) As atmospheric oxygen levels decline, the ozone layer is being destroyed.
B) As atmospheric carbon dioxide levels decline, the ozone layer is being destroyed.
C) As levels of methane decline, average global temperatures are increasing.
D) As levels of carbon dioxide increase, average global temperatures are increasing.
3) Which of the following is part of natural capital but not ecosystem capital?
A) solar energy used to drive photosynthesis throughout the biosphere
B) coal and oil reserves
C) the production of electrical energy from wind turbines and dams
D) the genetic diversity of all plants and animals used in modern agriculture
4) From an ecological economist’s perspective, without sustainability, as economies grow:
A) gross national product grows too
B) natural resources are renewed
C) the natural world is depleted
D) natural ecosystems are replenished
5) Natural capital includes ecosystem capital plus:
A) natural forms of energy, such as solar, wind, and flowing water
B) nonrenewable resources such as fossil fuels
C) money available to invest in growing industry
D) all of the products of photosynthesis in the biosphere
6) The concept of sustainability requires that:
A) economic growth does not exceed the renewal of natural capital
B) all sources of energy used in an economy must come from the sun
C) global economic systems are based on the harvesting of natural products
D) economies use equal portions of land, labor, and capital
7) Uncertain about the best way to keep his new lizard alive, Jerome places a heat lamp at one
end of the long lizard cage. Over several days, Jerome notices that the lizard tends to sit in a
certain place when the lamp is on. The lizard’s selection of a particular place to stay
A) range of tolerance
B) temperature optimum
C) biotic conditioning
D) use of a limited resource
8) As global climate change warms certain mountain ranges, the temperature optima for the insect
species living on the mountain is causing these insects to:
A) move higher up the mountain
B) move down the mountain
C) move to a new biome
D) become parasitic